Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column (Reports 6i)
Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548029] Mon, 19 March 2012 16:31 Go to next message
VAC357
Greetings!

Wondering if this is possible. I've a 6 column report where col5 is set to expand vertically (based upon comments) and works wonderfully. Col6 is a single character column, therefore does not expand so the report looks rather messy.

I would like col6 to expand in accordance to col5. Is it possible? If so, how may I ask...

Thanks in advance,

V

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2012 16:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548065 is a reply to message #548029] Tue, 20 March 2012 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It is kind of difficult to guess without seeing the report; does it display only 6 values (such as result of SELECT * FROM EMP WHERE ENAME = 'KING') or are they repeatable (such as result of SELECT * FROM EMP)? Did you enclose fields into a (repeating) frame? If not, try to do that now. Note that - if you "draw" the frame manually, it will be placed on a layer "above" the existing objects and it'll cover fields, but won't contain them. It means that you'll have to move it backwards (or send to background, depending on what you have) so that it'll contain fields. Whether you did that correctly or not, you'll see it in Object browser (field by field will be moved into the frame). The simplest way is to group fields (select them all, Ctrl + G) and then move the frame to their background. This operation requires only one "move to background", while - for 6 separate fields - you'd need 6 moves. Don't forget to ungroup them (Ctrl + Shift + G).

If that's not the case (i.e. your fields ARE in a frame, try to anchor field 6 with field 5.

If it still doesn't work, could you post a screenshot of both paper layout and messy output?
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548138 is a reply to message #548065] Tue, 20 March 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VAC357
Littlefoot,

Here is the outcome of the report. I'd like the final column to expand like the previous so there aren't any gaps in the frame (indicated by red arrows)

/forum/fa/9975/0/
  • Attachment: my_report.png
    (Size: 152.30KB, Downloaded 1917 times)
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548162 is a reply to message #548138] Tue, 20 March 2012 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Nothing but "frames" I already mentioned rings a bell. Create a new frame and put "Comment and Rec only" in there. Remove these fields' bottom line and leave only frame's bottom line.

Though, if you move "Rec only" field in front of the "Comment", everything would be OK. As you can see, all fields that are placed before "Comment" also have that "gap". How come you don't want to expand them as well?
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548174 is a reply to message #548162] Tue, 20 March 2012 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VAC357
Littlefoot wrote on Tue, 20 March 2012 10:02
Nothing but "frames" I already mentioned rings a bell. Create a new frame and put "Comment and Rec only" in there. Remove these fields' bottom line and leave only frame's bottom line.

I will try the above

Quote:

Though, if you move "Rec only" field in front of the "Comment", everything would be OK.

Funny you should mention this, as I did exactly that! I moved "Rec Only" column before "Comments" and submitted yesterday evening. I'm just waiting for approval

Thanks,

V
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548642 is a reply to message #548162] Fri, 23 March 2012 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VAC357
Littlefoot,

No go on rearrranging columns Mad but I was asked to create a border surrounding the report. Sounds simple enough, but it's a challenge! there are boilerplate frames for each data column atop a repeating frame. I am providing results from a different report which they want to resemble. The arrows indicate what I'm trying to accomplish./forum/fa/9992/0/

[Updated on: Fri, 23 March 2012 12:58]

Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548644 is a reply to message #548642] Fri, 23 March 2012 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Suppose you have a simple report query:
select 'some value' col from dual

When Wizard creates a report layout, it will create:
- field
- field is within its repeating frame (R)
- field's heading
- heading is within its own frame
- everything is enclosed into a master frame (M)

All these objects can have a visible border.

Now: from what I can see (which doesn't have to be correct), it appears that current borders come from a FIELD. If you want to surround the whole report, make master frame's (M) border visible. Alternatively, see what happens if repeating frame's (R) border is visible.
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548682 is a reply to message #548644] Sat, 24 March 2012 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude4084
Hi

The original problem can be fixed very easily.

Here are guidence steps.

--In live previewer, select the column "rec_only"
--In menu, unmark format> border>bottom
--Now goto layout model
--Pick "line" tool from tool bar
--Now try to draw a line along with the right hand side of the border of the field "rec_only" in such a way that its size is just the size of the field.
--Take property of the line and choose the "repeating frame name" in property "stretch line with frame"

--Repeat above steps for all your fields having possibility of producing Gaps.

Good luck

-Dude
Re: Vertical expansion based upon info in previous column [message #548827 is a reply to message #548682] Mon, 26 March 2012 08:59 Go to previous message
VAC357
Thank you! ... arrived early this morning with this on my mind and it worked!!!

V

[EDITED by LF: removed unnecessary quote of the whole previous message]

[Updated on: Mon, 26 March 2012 15:10] by Moderator

Previous Topic: When the PDF gets generated
Next Topic: Convert RDF to REP Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:46:21 CDT 2024