Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself (Oracle reports 9i )
Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613020] Mon, 28 April 2014 23:23 Go to next message
fatih1000
Hello,

I have a problem regarding oracle reports 9i. First, there are a number of boilerplate texts in the report. All the data and parameteres are passed through oracle forms, nothing is retrieved from database.
When I run a report I see that some of the boilerplate texts started printing on one physical page and continued on the next page and they are cut horizontally, so that it is sometimes unreadable. Is there a way to handle this?
Margin couldn't help, I tried frames, anchors and I even put everything in just one text, the result is the same. The vertical elasticity was expand or variable, didn't matter.
Second, the same texts (started printing on one physical page and continued on the next page) are printed on itself (printed twice), so there are two text on almost at the same place, it also becomes unreadable. So there two problems that I couldn't solve.
Please help me with your suggestions, thank you.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613022 is a reply to message #613020] Tue, 29 April 2014 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Cut text: as you pass it from a form, how do you do that? Is it by using a global variable? Whatever it is, make sure that all the text fits into its carrier (whether it is a global variable or not). If text is too large, maybe you'll have to use two (or more) variables and concatenate them. In that case, don't create fields in report's layout - use "&" notation instead, such as
This is &variable_1 &variable_2

Consider creating a table; you'd store all data into that table and let report fetch from it. You can even remove its contents (either from a report - its After Report trigger, or from a form.

Text printed twice: what kind of a layout is that? As texts "almost" fit, it means that there must be two fields (possibly in two different frames) which aren't aligned horizontally and/or vertically (because, if they were, you wouldn't even notice that there are two texts). I thought that the reason might be a repeating frame which prints the same field twice, but you'd then see texts one below the other (or side by side, depending on print direction).

I don't have any other ideas at the moment.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613028 is a reply to message #613022] Tue, 29 April 2014 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
I have template text (static) that I just put in boilerplate text and also I pass dynamic text through the user parameters, I created some char variable and store pass values to them through forms.So I have a mixture of static and dynamic texts. How would I concatinate texts if the contents of static text contains dynamic one. for example I have the following sentence: "Hello this is oracle forum &oracle, welcome." Imagine that &oracle is dynamic and all the report can be similar. How should I separate them and concatinate after?

Ok if I create a table, then insert data as line of texts? Should I somehow format them?

There is a repeating frame, however a single field is inside it (select 'A' from dual), I don't need any data from database. I tried to put everything in frames, but it didn't help. And they are aren't aligned vertically. second text starts printing a little below first one.

Thank you for your useful thoughts.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613033 is a reply to message #613028] Tue, 29 April 2014 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
"Hello this is oracle forum &oracle, welcome."

That's what I thought, yes. What is ORACLE, exactly? Its size? Is it capable of holding the whole text? You could find it out by selecting its length in both form and report (in a form, before sending ORACLE to report, display its size as
message('ORACLE length = ' || length(:oracle));
In a report, you could create a formula item and display its value somewhere on the screen (or use SRW.MESSAGE in After Parameter Form trigger, or ...). Anyway, these two lengths (form & report) should match.

About concatenation: if you have to pass ORACLE split in two pieces (so that you'd pass ORACLE_1 and ORACLE_2, you'd display ""Hello this is oracle forum &oracle_1 &oracle_2, welcome." in a report.

If you store data into a table, I think that you can't format it (i.e. put something into bold, italic, whatever) so the same "unformatted" text would be displayed in a report. If formatting IS possible, I don't know how to do it.

As of duplicate text: so, there aren't two items nor two frames? Is there any anchor there, perhaps?
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613043 is a reply to message #613033] Tue, 29 April 2014 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
It is a variable in forms (non database item) and its length is the same as the user parameter in reports which gets the value. But the problem is with with static boilerplate text as well, I tried to put a static text only and the text is cut horizontally between physical pages. So maybe I will use your idea and put all the text divided on the lines and insert each line of text in the table, and retrieve them one by one.

There is an outer frame, repeating frame and frame. However none of them holds the boilerplate text, I just put the text below them and try to view result. there are no anchors. However, anchors didn't help when I tried to put the text in repeating frame or a frame, or outer frame. Duplicate text comes up anyway.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613047 is a reply to message #613043] Tue, 29 April 2014 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Could you post a screenshot which displays what happens? Blur most of the text, leave the part which shows how text is cut. I'm not sure I understood you correctly. I thought that the problem is in displaying this
Hello this is oracle forum 
WHICH LETS US DISCUSS VARIOUS 
ORACLE PROBLEMS, welcome

as
Hello this is oracle forum 
WHICH LETS US DISCUSS VARIOUS 
ORACLE PROB

but now I think that it displays as
Hello this is oracle for 
WHICH LETS US DISCUSS VA 
ORACLE PROB

As of duplicate text, no idea ... did you put your glasses on? (Just kidding!)
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613050 is a reply to message #613047] Tue, 29 April 2014 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
/forum/fa/11848/0/

Thats what happens, and I have tried many things but anyways it stays like this, I tried everything from scrratch as well. it gets cut along horizontally.
  • Attachment: 2.PNG
    (Size: 56.97KB, Downloaded 2858 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2014 02:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613051 is a reply to message #613050] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Amazing!

As you don't select anything from the database, try the following: go to Paper Layout editor and remove all frames. You don't need them. Then, as the only report text, put your
Hello this is oracle forum &oracle, welcome.
Set this text's vertical and horizontal elasticity to "variable". Pass some text through ORACLE variable and see what happens.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613052 is a reply to message #613051] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
What about the data field from database (select 'A' from dual)? If I delete everything there is a problem with frequency of field. How should I proceed with it? There is no problem if the text is less than one physical page, otherwise text gets duplicated and printed again. That's why I have to make it longer.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2014 03:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613054 is a reply to message #613052] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Create that query - no problem. You don't have to display it (what would you do with 'A' on the screen, anyway?).
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613055 is a reply to message #613054] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
/forum/fa/11849/0/

Nothing, I don't need 'A' in the report. Previously, it was giving error that's why I asked, most probably it is because of repeating frame.

I did it, only one boilerplate text (but long one) in the report and the same result. I can divide them into smaller pieces, but the piece which starts on the current physical page and continues on the next page is duplicated anyway.
  • Attachment: 1.PNG
    (Size: 68.56KB, Downloaded 2712 times)
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613056 is a reply to message #613055] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I tried it myself (using Reports 9.0.4):
  • created a report using Report Wizard
  • query is a simple SELECT * FROM DUAL
  • wizard created layout - I removed it, nothing has left but an empty layout
  • I copied a long text from today's newspaper and pasted it into the report. This is how the layout looks like:

/forum/fa/11850/0/

Vertical and horizontal elasticity is set to "Variable"
  • I ran the report. This is how the result looks like:

/forum/fa/11851/0/

Text spans two physical pages, everything seems to be OK

I attached the RDF file as well - have a look, it is really nothing special (but seems to be working OK).
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613057 is a reply to message #613056] Tue, 29 April 2014 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
The problem comes when I print it or look at it as html, rtf document, running from oracle forms, but when I run paper layout in the reports everything seems ok. I will try to put a little more text than one page and configure it to my needs, if it will not work I will try to use the database solution.

Thank you very much, I was totally lost but now I know how to proceed Smile
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613058 is a reply to message #613057] Tue, 29 April 2014 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Just for your information, I tried RTF and HTML output - no problem either.

Good luck!
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613065 is a reply to message #613020] Tue, 29 April 2014 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatih1000
I found the mistake that I was doing all this time from the beginning.
The problem was in stretching the boilerplate text borders in order to view whole static text with variables all the time in report editor, but it was mistake.
So the size of the boilerplate text should be minimized and at the runtime it will be automatically stretched by report builder if you put horizontal and vertical elasticity to variable.
I know that some people are having the same problem, but couldn't find the solution, hope it helps.
I was looking at your example and I saw this detail, once again thank you for the assistance and spending your valuable time.
Re: Oracle reports 9i text cut horizontally and the same text is printed on itself [message #613067 is a reply to message #613065] Tue, 29 April 2014 06:42 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Great! I'm glad you fixed it.
Previous Topic: Remove Job From Report Queue Manager
Next Topic: REP-34308: Invalid reference parameter 'ccno' in distribution list "
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:24:16 CDT 2024