Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » HELP-STUPID QUESTION
HELP-STUPID QUESTION [message #365924] Mon, 27 March 2000 01:23 Go to next message
BA
I'm new to the world of Oracle, and I cannot find the "how-to" for this anywhere! It's likely a stupid question for you. Here goes:

I'm creating a table & I want to add a check clause so that the user will be able to enter the value (JR, SR) in either uppercase or lowercase, or a combination of both. I think it has something to do with A-Z, a-z but I've tried diff't combos & can't get it to work.

HELP!! and Thanks!!!
Re: HELP-STUPID QUESTION [message #365925 is a reply to message #365924] Mon, 27 March 2000 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thierry Van der Auwera
Hallo BA,

Just add a constraint to your table.
Example
your table : TAB_A
the field : tab_a_field1
the constraint : tab_a_const1

ALTER TABLE tab_a ADD CONSTRAINT tab_a_const1 CHECK (UPPER(tab_a_field1) IN ('JR','SR'));

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Greetings,

Thierry.
Re: HELP-STUPID QUESTION [message #365927 is a reply to message #365924] Mon, 27 March 2000 13:02 Go to previous message
BA
Thierry, Thanks for your help... I still can't get it to work though. (I'm creating the table now.) As a test, without the other columns, I'm doing this:

create table test (
level char(2) CHECK (UPPER(level) IN('JR','SR')));

...and it gives me an error "invalid column name". Do you know what the problem is? I didn't think I needed to necessarily ADD CONSTRAINT, but do I??

Thanks again!
Previous Topic: Changing maximum size of buffer in the Put_Line procedure of the UTL_File package
Next Topic: Re: SQLPlus problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:41:25 CDT 2024