Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS Listener Service Won't Start after Changing "Log on as" Setting (Oracle 10g, 10.2.0.4, Windows Server 2003 SP2)
TNS Listener Service Won't Start after Changing "Log on as" Setting [message #448326] Mon, 22 March 2010 13:28 Go to next message
bcr229
One of our requirements is to secure the listener and other Oracle services by running them as a local OS account rather than as LocalSystem on the server.

I created a local OS account (assume it's named oracleuser), assigned it to the User and ORA_DBA groups on the server, and then I went to the Local Policies and added oracleuser to "Deny log on locally" and "Log on as a service".

I opened up the Services utility and stopped the four Oracle services we have running (OracleMTSRecoveryService, xxx_home1iSQL*Plus, xxx_home1TNSListener, and OracleServiceMYDB). I changed the "Log on as" for each service to oracleuser with its password (copied and pasted so I know there are no typo's), and restarted the services.

All the services except the listener started up. Attempting to start the listener caused the following error:

"The xxx_home1TNSListener service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I tried rebooting the server and had the same result.

For now just the listener service has been switched back to logging in as LocalSystem while the other services continue to use the local OS account and the database seems stable, but I do need to figure this out.

Thoughts?
Re: TNS Listener Service Won't Start after Changing "Log on as" Setting [message #448327 is a reply to message #448326] Mon, 22 March 2010 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Activate trace on listener and see trace file.

Regards
Michel
Re: TNS Listener Service Won't Start after Changing "Log on as" Setting [message #448447 is a reply to message #448326] Tue, 23 March 2010 07:45 Go to previous message
bcr229
Thanks for the tip. Trace file showed Oracle was trying to access a table named SYS.DAM_CONFIG_PARAM$ which doesn't exist on the server. This table is associated with the Oracle Audit Vault, which we don't have, and the decision on whether or not to purchase it is well above my pay grade.

Thanks again for the help.
Previous Topic: DB Link from SQL Server 2005 (Big5) to Oracle(UTF8)
Next Topic: TNS checksum 0x0000. Is it normal?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:52:33 CDT 2024