Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor (ora 10g)
TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor [message #508390] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:36 Go to next message
mbkarade
Hi all,
I am facing one of the issue while connecting to database
TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

Listener.ora
BIRET =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle)(PORT = 1521))
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

tnsnames.ora
BR =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oracle.S.COM)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = BR)
)
)

Listener full error
Status Down
Host oracle.S.COM
Port 1521

Name BIRET
Oracle Home E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1
Location E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin
Details listener "BIRET" is not running using "E:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin/listener.ora" file.

It would be helpful ,as i am facing this issue from long time
Re: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor [message #508392 is a reply to message #508390] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Since Networking is involved, the basic assumption is that two distinct systems are involved.

For System1 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
For System2 post hostname, IP#, Operating System name & version & Oracle s/w version to 4 decimal places.
Clarify which hostname is associated with DataBase (DB) Server system & which hostname with SQL Client.

From DB Server post content of listener.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
From DB Server post results from following commands
lsnrtcl status
lsnrctl service
sqlplus scott/tiger

From SQL Client post content of tnsnames.ora & sqlnet.ora (if either exist)
From SQL Client post results from following commands
tnsping <DB_alias>
ping <DBhostname>
sqlplus scott/tiger@<DB_alias>

ORA-12514 ALWAYS only occurs due to a problem on DB Server system.
One cause of this problem is when the Oracle database is down & needs to be started.
A remote client send a request to the Listener asking to be connected to a specific service.
If/when the listener does not know anything about that service, the listener responds with ORA-12514
Since every connection request to the listener gets logged, listener.log file will contain a line with 12514 as status code.
This line contains valuable debugging details. So post this line & surrounding lines.
Re: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor [message #508402 is a reply to message #508392] Fri, 20 May 2011 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbkarade
Hi,
Thanks for replying

From these 2 commands
lsnrtcl status
lsnrctl service

I could not get information on the BR Database(Problemed db),other database i could get some info.
- Show quoted text -
Re: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor [message #508404 is a reply to message #508402] Fri, 20 May 2011 17:26 Go to previous message
mbkarade
Hi,
Currently i am trying to connect to database from server itself
Previous Topic: Oracle Database Gateway installing on Oracle 8
Next Topic: Database Link not working between Oralce 9i and Oracle 11g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:43:07 CDT 2024