Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Issue while using sequence in sqlloader (Oracle10g,Unix)
Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538402] Thu, 05 January 2012 14:30 Go to next message
Oracle_Walker

I have created table and sequence in a schema named SCH1.
CREATE TABLE TEST_LOAD (SEQ_NO NUMBER, ADDRESS VARCHAR2(500),CREATE_DATE DATE);
CREATE SEQUENCE LOAD_SEQ MINVALUE 1 MAXVALUE 99999 START WITH 1 INCREMENT BY 1;

Now i am loading data to this table from using SQL*Loader from a different schema named SCH2. My control file looks like this

LOAD DATA
INTO TABLE SCH1.TEST_LOAD APPEND
fields terminated by "~"
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
SEQ_NO "SCH1.LOAD_SEQ.NEXTVAL",
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate"
)

When i execute the sqlldr command from shell script, Load completed successfully but sysdate is the only value available in the table without sequence number and address(data from data file). Please help what i am doing wrong here.

Also i have to mention the schema name for referencing the table and sequence in the control file even after created synonym.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538403 is a reply to message #538402] Thu, 05 January 2012 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/?&t=search&srch=sequence+loader&btn_submit=Search&field=all

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Thu, 05 January 2012 14:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538418 is a reply to message #538402] Thu, 05 January 2012 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It would have helped if you had provided some sample data. Since you didn't I made some up, in order to provide a demonstration. In the control file, you need to list the columns in the data file first, then the sequence and sysdate. Sch1 needs to grant insert on the table and select on the sequence to sch2.

-- test.dat data file:
123 someplace, somewhere
456 anyplace, nowhere

-- test.ctl control file
-- with columns in data file first:
LOAD DATA
fields terminated by "~"
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
SEQ_NO "SCH1.LOAD_SEQ.NEXTVAL",
CREATE_DATE "sysdate"
)

-- sch1 creates table and sequence,
-- then grants insert on table and select on sequence to sch2:
SCH1@orcl_11gR2> CREATE TABLE TEST_LOAD (SEQ_NO NUMBER, ADDRESS VARCHAR2(500),CREATE_DATE DATE);

Table created.

SCH1@orcl_11gR2> CREATE SEQUENCE LOAD_SEQ MINVALUE 1 MAXVALUE 99999 START WITH 1 INCREMENT BY 1;

Sequence created.

SCH1@orcl_11gR2> grant insert on test_load to sch2
  2  /

Grant succeeded.

SCH1@orcl_11gR2> grant select on load_seq to sch2
  2  /

Grant succeeded.

-- sch2 loads data:
SCH2@orcl_11gR2> host sqlldr sch2/sch2 control=test.ctl data=test.dat log=test.log

-- results:
SCH1@orcl_11gR2> column address format a30
SCH1@orcl_11gR2> select * from test_load
  2  /

SEQ_NO ADDRESS                        CREATE_DA
---------- ------------------------------ ---------
         1 123 someplace, somewhere       05-JAN-12
         2 456 anyplace, nowhere          05-JAN-12

2 rows selected.

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538449 is a reply to message #538418] Fri, 06 January 2012 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Thank you for helping me. I have modified my control as suggested and provided grant select on the sequence to SCH2. Records are getting inserted without the sequence number(with null).

What grant i should provide for the sch2 for accessing the sequence. Also is it possible to have the table name and sequence name alone in the control file without having the schema in front. If i remove the schema then it throws table not found error.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538455 is a reply to message #538449] Fri, 06 January 2012 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

I have checked the sequence from a different shell script to validate whether i am able get the sequence number from SCH2. I got it right.

output=`sqlplus -s $username/$password@$tnsname <<EOF
SELECT SCH1.LOAD_SEQ.NEXTVAL
FROM DUAL;
exit;
EOF
`
echo $output

Output is
NEXTVAL ---------- 1067

Still looking to identify the issue my control file.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 January 2012 03:32]

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538480 is a reply to message #538455] Fri, 06 January 2012 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
Show us.
You say what you did, but how do we know you actually did it.
Show ALL relevant pieces (I leave that for you to figure out).
The GRANT command has been shown to you.
Additionally, what does your logfile show?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538482 is a reply to message #538480] Fri, 06 January 2012 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Please find the logs here

SQL*Loader: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Fri Jan 6 08:33:23 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Control File:   /loc/test.ctl
Data File:      /loc/Content.txt
Bad File:     /loc/Content_BAD.txt
  Discard File:  none specified

(Allow all discards)

Number to load: ALL
Number to skip: 0
Errors allowed: 10000
Continuation:    none specified
Path used:      Direct

Table SCH1.TEST_LOAD, loaded from every logical record.
Insert option in effect for this table: APPEND
TRAILING NULLCOLS option in effect

Column Name                  Position   Len  Term Encl Datatype
------------------------------ ---------- ----- ---- ---- ---------------------
ADDRESS                          FIRST     *   ,       CHARACTER            
CREATE_DATE                          NEXT     *   ,       CHARACTER            
    SQL string for column : "sysdate"
SEQ_NO                               NEXT     *   ,       CHARACTER            
    SQL string for column : "SCH1.LOAD_SEQ.NEXTVAL"

Table SCH1.TEST_LOAD:
  1 Row successfully loaded.
  0 Rows not loaded due to data errors.
  0 Rows not loaded because all WHEN clauses were failed.
  0 Rows not loaded because all fields were null.

Control file

LOAD DATA
fields terminated by "~"
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate",
SEQ_NO "SCH1.LOAD_SEQ.NEXTVAL"
)
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538485 is a reply to message #538482] Fri, 06 January 2012 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
You are posting mismatched pieces, because your control file shows "~" as the delimiter and your log file shows "," as the delimiter. I cannot tell what you are doing wrong if you do not post what you are actually doing. What I posted works, so you must have done something different.

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538491 is a reply to message #538485] Fri, 06 January 2012 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Sorry. I using "," as the delimiter. Please find the control file here,

[code]
LOAD DATA
fields terminated by ","
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate",
)

[code]
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538493 is a reply to message #538491] Fri, 06 January 2012 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It seems like you must not have granted the select on the sequence correctly. It would really help if you would post all of the pieces, as I did, including sample data file and create table statement and grant statements and command line that you use for loading.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 January 2012 09:59]

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538507 is a reply to message #538493] Fri, 06 January 2012 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Here is what i have used.

I am creating this table and sequence in a PL/SQL stored procedure using Dynamic SQL statement in schema SCH1

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'CREATE TABLE TEST_LOAD (SEQ_NO NUMBER, ADDRESS VARCHAR2(500),CREATE_DATE VARCHAR2(25))';
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'CREATE SEQUENCE LOAD_SEQ MINVALUE 1 MAXVALUE 99999 START WITH 1 INCREMENT BY 1';

Grants provided to the table and sequence

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'GRANT select on  LOAD_SEQ to SCH2'
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'GRANT select on TEST_LOAD to SCH2';
EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'GRANT INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON TEST_LOAD TO SCH2';

Control file

LOAD DATA
fields terminated by ","
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate",
)

Data file(just a single line)

hello

Command line running from shell script in unix environment

sqlldr $username/$password@$tnsname errors=10000 control="loc/test.ctl"  data="loc/Content.txt"  log="loc/test_load.log" bad="loc/Content_BAD.txt"  direct=true

Please let me know if you need any info. I don't why can't be able to insert the sequence values.

Also please suggest how could i use the table and sequence name alone in the control without schema name.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538511 is a reply to message #538507] Fri, 06 January 2012 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Please post the results of the following query:

select * 
from   all_tab_privs
where  grantee = 'SCH2'
and    table_schema = 'SCH1'
and    table_name = 'LOAD_SEQ';

You need to solve your sequence problem first, before trying to add synonyms to avoid having to specify the schema, as this just adds another layer of complexity to the problem. It is best to just specify the schema name.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538516 is a reply to message #538511] Fri, 06 January 2012 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

No results were found for this query. But i have got the below output with a modified query

Query
select * 
from   all_tab_privs
where  
table_name = 'LOAD_SEQ';

Output
GRANTOR                        GRANTEE                        TABLE_SCHEMA                   TABLE_NAME                     PRIVILEGE                                GRANTABLE HIERARCHY 
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- --------- --------- 
SCH1                           SCH1_SEL_ROL          SCH1                  LOAD_SEQ               SELECT                                   NO        NO        
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538517 is a reply to message #538516] Fri, 06 January 2012 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
So, apparently the select on load_seq has been granted through a role. There are a lot of things that require that such privileges be granted directly, not through a role. Try just granting the select on load_seq to sch2 in the same manner that I did, not through a role and not using dynamic SQL and not through a procedure.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538532 is a reply to message #538517] Fri, 06 January 2012 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Thanks for the clarification. I will try providing the grant as the same what you did.

But as per my requirement i will be creating this table and sequence when a job runs. I will insert some data from the existing tables and indeed i want the data from this text file as well. I am invoking this procedure for this table and sequence creation from a shell script. This table and sequence will be dropped once the job is over.

So I am planning to have a SQL file where i can provide the grant once sequence is created. Please suggest if this is good approach or i can follow some other approach.

Thanks again.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538534 is a reply to message #538532] Fri, 06 January 2012 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I am invoking this procedure for this table and sequence creation from a shell script.
>This table and sequence will be dropped once the job is over.
violates Oracle Best Practices!
Tables should be static between software version releases.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538535 is a reply to message #538532] Fri, 06 January 2012 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
In general, it is a bad practice to dynamically create and drop things. Anything that references them must also be done dynamically and you end up with a whole chain reaction of problems like you are encountering.

It is better to create a table and sequence once, then you can statically insert and delete. You can also use a SQL*Loader sequence instead of a database sequence.

If your data file is on your server, not your client, then an external table is another option.

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538536 is a reply to message #538535] Fri, 06 January 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Keep in mind that DDL (CREATE TABLE) does 2 implicit COMMIT;
which does impact any previously issued DML statements.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538577 is a reply to message #538536] Sat, 07 January 2012 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Thanks all for your valid explanation. Now i have moved my DDL statements out of the procedure. I am able to perform the bulk load using SQL *Loader sequence, it really works perfectly.

I have provided the grants through a separate SQL script file for SCH2. But still unable to use the LOAD_SEQ in the control file.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538589 is a reply to message #538577] Sat, 07 January 2012 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
How did you reference LOAD_SEQ sequence in the control file? Did you precede its name with its owner name (which is SCH1, I presume)? If you want to avoid it, create a synonym in SCH2 schema.

Perhaps you could post what you did (i.e. the last version) so that we would see it and, hopefully, assist.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538609 is a reply to message #538589] Sat, 07 January 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Please find the control file which is loading data without seq_no

LOAD DATA
INTO TABLE TEST_LOAD APPEND
fields terminated by ","
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate",
)

Control file with SQL *Loader sequence(Works perfectly)

LOAD DATA
INTO TABLE TEST_LOAD APPEND
fields terminated by ","
TRAILING NULLCOLS
(
ADDRESS,
CREATE_DATE "sysdate",
SEQ_NO SEQUENCE(MAX,1)
)

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538611 is a reply to message #538609] Sat, 07 January 2012 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Now that you have supposedly granted the privileges properly, post the result of the following query.

select * 
from   all_tab_privs
where  grantee = 'SCH2'
and    table_schema = 'SCH1'

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538738 is a reply to message #538611] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

No rows found the above query for 'LOAD_SEQ'. I have given select grant on LOAD_SEQ using the below statement

GRANT select on  LOAD_SEQ to SCH2;

Below is the only record available for LOAD_SEQ in table all_tab_privs

"GRANTOR"	"GRANTEE"	"TABLE_SCHEMA"	"TABLE_NAME"	"PRIVILEGE"	"GRANTABLE"	"HIERARCHY"
"SCH1"	      "SCH1_SEL_ROL"	"SCH1"	         "LOAD_SEQ"	"SELECT"	"NO"	        "NO"
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538739 is a reply to message #538738] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Please post a copy and paste of the results of running the below statement, including the statement, and line numbers, from SQL*Plus.

GRANT select on LOAD_SEQ to SCH2;
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538740 is a reply to message #538738] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Which user did you run the query as?
Which user did you run the grant as?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538741 is a reply to message #538738] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Also clarify me why i am not able to access table TEST_LOAD in the control file without schema name, while creating table and synonym in procedure.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538744 is a reply to message #538741] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
What procedure, where is it run from?
Are you sure it suceeded?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538748 is a reply to message #538744] Mon, 09 January 2012 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

As i mentioned earlier, i was creating the table LOAD_TEST in a procedure LOAD_PROC. I have also created the synonym for the table after table creation. Procedure compiled and ran successfully.

Procedure is in SCH1.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 05:00]

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538750 is a reply to message #538739] Mon, 09 January 2012 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Please find the statement issued and output here

SQL> GRANT SELECT ON LOAD_SEQ TO SCH2;

Grant succeeded.

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538752 is a reply to message #538750] Mon, 09 January 2012 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Now that you have run that, what is the result of the following query? Please post a copy and paste that includes the query and results, so that we can see that you are running the correct query and posting the associated results.

select * 
from   all_tab_privs
where  grantee = 'SCH2'

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538764 is a reply to message #538752] Mon, 09 January 2012 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Query executed

[code]
select *
from all_tab_privs
where grantee = 'SCH2'
and table_name = 'LOAD_SEQ';
[code]

Results:
GRANTOR                        GRANTEE                        TABLE_SCHEMA                   TABLE_NAME                     PRIVILEGE                                GRANTABLE HIERARCHY 
------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ------------------------------ ---------------------------------------- --------- --------- 

0 rows selected
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538767 is a reply to message #538740] Mon, 09 January 2012 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
cookiemonster wrote on Mon, 09 January 2012 10:35
Which user did you run the query as?
Which user did you run the grant as?

And are you sure you were connected to the same DB in both cases?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538780 is a reply to message #538767] Mon, 09 January 2012 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

I ran the query and grant as SCH1.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538783 is a reply to message #538780] Mon, 09 January 2012 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Here's the options I can think of.
1) You did the grant and select in different DBs.
2) Someone/something else immediately revoked the grant after you granted it.
3) SCH1 has view/table called all_tab_privs that isn't the real all_tab_privs. Run the following query to check:
select owner, object_type from all_objects where object_name = 'ALL_TAB_PRIVS';

Result should be:
OWNER                          OBJECT_TYPE
------------------------------ -------------------
SYS                            VIEW
PUBLIC                         SYNONYM
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538789 is a reply to message #538783] Mon, 09 January 2012 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

1)I have done the grant and select in same DB
2)My job is one which uses this sequence, so there is no chance for this grant to be revoked
3)I ran the query and got the same output which you have shared.

I need help in another issue i am facing in SQL *Loader. I have a string in the text file which has a non-ASCII character "ümlat" and this string uploaded to DB as "�mlat". How can i upload the exact string (ümlat) which is there in the text file.
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538792 is a reply to message #538789] Mon, 09 January 2012 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
vel4ever wrote on Mon, 09 January 2012 13:46
1)I have done the grant and select in same DB
2)My job is one which uses this sequence, so there is no chance for this grant to be revoked
3)I ran the query and got the same output which you have shared.

Well oracle is saying the grant is created, but if it exists all_Tab_privs should show it. So either:
1) Oracle is lying - in which case you need to raise a bug with oracle support
2) Somone/something is dropping it.
Have you got a DBA who can check what is happening?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538801 is a reply to message #538792] Mon, 09 January 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

Yes i have DBA and will check with him. Thanks a lot for the support. Any suggestions for non-ASCII character issue?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538802 is a reply to message #538801] Mon, 09 January 2012 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Any suggestions for non-ASCII character issue?
1) Is character correct in csv/text file being loaded?
2) is character getting into the DB correctly? Can be verified by SELECT ASCIISTR(NON_ASCII_COL) FROM TABLE1;
3) Is problem only data presentation problem? (both #1 & #2) are correct?
Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538805 is a reply to message #538802] Mon, 09 January 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oracle_Walker

1) Yes, character is correct in the text file
2) No, character is not getting to DB correctly

Data in text file:
http://www.sample.com/ümlat.html&q=user

Data in DB after loading

[url]http://www.sample.com/?mlat.html&q=user[/url]

Result for query SELECT ASCIISTR(NON_ASCII_COL) FROM TABLE1; is

http://www.sample.com/\FFFDmlat.html&q=user

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 09:54]

Re: Issue while using sequence in sqlloader [message #538808 is a reply to message #538805] Mon, 09 January 2012 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BlackSwan
It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/
Previous Topic: Sqlloader issue
Next Topic: SQL Loader is not uploading non-ASCII characters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:22:15 CDT 2024