Home » Other » Training & Certification » New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g (11gR2)
New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #573017] Wed, 19 December 2012 22:15 Go to next message
rleishman
This looks like exactly the certification that has been missing from the developer stream until now. Well done Oracle.

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0758

Ross Leishman
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #597950 is a reply to message #573017] Wed, 09 October 2013 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
Exam 1Z0-117 looks interesting. Is there a good book for SQL Tuning? I have often performance problems with my queries, so it's a good idea to study optimizing SQL commands.

I passed SQL Fundamentals, exam 1Z0-051. I am a SQL beginner.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 October 2013 07:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #597958 is a reply to message #597950] Wed, 09 October 2013 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

You may have a look at this.

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #597967 is a reply to message #597958] Wed, 09 October 2013 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
Michel Cadot wrote on Wed, 09 October 2013 07:49

You may have a look at this.

dead link

Invalid Input
You have followed an invalid link. Please notify the webmaster how you got here. 
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #597976 is a reply to message #597967] Wed, 09 October 2013 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It seems the topic has been deleted.
See the books there

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #597978 is a reply to message #597976] Wed, 09 October 2013 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Actually the topic has been moved there.

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598046 is a reply to message #597978] Thu, 10 October 2013 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
you recommend books from Stephane Faroult. Thank you.

- SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency [ISBN-13: 978-1909765009]
- The Art of SQL [ISBN-13: 978-0596008949]
- Refactoring SQL Applications [ISBN-13: 978-0596514976]

The book "Refactoring SQL Applications" is too complicated for beginner (It's all Greek to me). Which one of the other two is most suitable for beginner? I need a lot of examples.
icon14.gif  Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598054 is a reply to message #598046] Thu, 10 October 2013 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

To correctly learn SQL, I recommend "SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency" which will be useful even for people having written SQL for years as Stephane broaches many subjects you do not learn in standard SQL courses which only speak about the syntax. Stephane explains SQL and how it works, not just shows the statements.

Then you have "The Art of SQL" which explains how to build a SQL application. I think it is a mandatory book for any database application developer.

The last (but not least) one, "Refactoring SQL Applications" is indeed for more experienced people who have in charge to improve current database applications with more or less means to change the code.

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598056 is a reply to message #597950] Thu, 10 October 2013 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
rc3d wrote on Wed, 09 October 2013 13:09
Exam 1Z0-117 looks interesting. Is there a good book for SQL Tuning? I have often performance problems with my queries, so it's a good idea to study optimizing SQL commands.

If I were you, I would consider this:
www.amazon.co.uk/Study-Guide-1Z0-117-Database-Certification/dp/148277559X
It will not be as comprehensive as the Stephane Faroult series but it is cheaper, aimed at the exam, and will be a starting point for further research. Matthew's style is very accessible, and his editors are technically brilliant.
They are all ORAfaq people.
--
update: added tags

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2013 03:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598062 is a reply to message #598054] Thu, 10 October 2013 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
Michel Cadot wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 02:57

To correctly learn SQL, I recommend "SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency" which will be useful even for people having written SQL for years as Stephane broaches many subjects you do not learn in standard SQL courses which only speak about the syntax. Stephane explains SQL and how it works, not just shows the statements.

Do you know Stephane Faroult personally?

I ordered "SQL Success - Database Programming Proficiency" some minutes ago. What I don't like that he covers M$ SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and more. I am only interested in Oracle.
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598063 is a reply to message #598056] Thu, 10 October 2013 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
John Watson wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 03:16
It will not be as comprehensive as the Stephane Faroult series but it is cheaper, aimed at the exam, and will be a starting point for further research. Matthew's style is very accessible, and his editors are technically brilliant.

I bought several books from Matthew for OCA DBA preparation. Matthew's book great, but only summary (short preparation for exam). If you are beginner you need more detailed info.
icon14.gif  Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598069 is a reply to message #598062] Thu, 10 October 2013 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
Do you know Stephane Faroult personally?

Yes.

Quote:
What I don't like that he covers M$ SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL and more. I am only interested in Oracle.

This is the opposite, it shows you can do the same thing in about the same ways and the same efficiency way to write the queries (at least most of them as Oracle as powerful analytic functions but this is out of the scope of this book); and doing so it makes you understand SQL.
Anyway, if you are only interesting in Oracle, you can read only Oracle parts; each example/exercise is explained for all rdbms, just skip the solutions you don't care.
With the book you can also access to konagora site to check the solutions or test your own ones: the example database is loaded and you have an SQL interface to query it.

Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598120 is a reply to message #598063] Thu, 10 October 2013 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
Matthew's book great, but only summary (short preparation for exam). If you are beginner you need more detailed info.

Thank you.

Yes -- the focus of my guides is to be a concise exam prep. I try to find as many sources available on the Oracle Learning Library and other locations that expand on topics relevant to each exam. If you haven't visited the page on my companion website for 1Z0-117, you should do that. There are a couple dozen articles currently there for 117. Any time I run across more, I add them to the site.

http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-117
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598129 is a reply to message #598063] Thu, 10 October 2013 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
rc3d wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 10:18
John Watson wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 03:16

I bought several books from Matthew for OCA DBA preparation. Matthew's book great, but only summary (short preparation for exam). If you are beginner you need more detailed info.
If detail is what you want, here it is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oracle-Database-All--Guide-CD-ROM/dp/0071629181
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598131 is a reply to message #597950] Thu, 10 October 2013 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matthewmorris68

Quote:

I should also note that I think this exam is probably the hardest I have ever taken. The 1Z0-047 SQL Expert exam (which is much harder than 1Z0-051) wasn't even close to 1Z0-117 in terms of difficulty. If you are a beginner, you need to allocate a bunch of time to working with the tools and topics covered in 1Z0-117 -- not just reading about them. I reviewed my experience with the exam here:

http://www.gocertify.com/certification-exam-reviews/oracle-certification-exam-1z0-117.html
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598179 is a reply to message #598131] Fri, 11 October 2013 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
rc3d, please, don't get me wrong.

You said that you are a beginner. Reading this discussion, I have a feeling that SQL Tuning might not be the right choice for you at the moment. Saying that code you produce isn't optimized doesn't necessarily mean that it requires some kind of "expert tuning". Maybe, if you spent some more time in doing Oracle, you'd be able to compare code "now" and "some time later" and see the improvement.

For example: you know there's PL/SQL and saw that cursor FOR loop is a nice thing, so you update a table in a loop, committing after every UPDATE statement. There's a good chance that - if you rewrite it in a way that it uses pure SQL (not PL/SQL) UPDATE statement, the same task would be done much faster. This is not really "tuning" but using an appropriate technique.

That's why I was thinking that it might be a better choice to forget about SQL Tuning for a while. See what Matthew said, that it is one of the hardest exams he'd ever taken, and if it was hard for him, imagine how you'd feel about it. I'm not suggesting that you are "stupid" and unable to take it, I just think that you aren't ready for it yet. Spend some time here, reading (and solving) problems in our (PL/)SQL forum - you might benefit from it.
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598185 is a reply to message #598179] Fri, 11 October 2013 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
You are right Littlefoot. I will prepare for 1Z0-047 SQL Expert.
Re: New Certification: Oracle Expert - SQL Tuning 11g [message #598256 is a reply to message #598179] Fri, 11 October 2013 15:33 Go to previous message
matthewmorris68

Quote:
Saying that code you produce isn't optimized doesn't necessarily mean that it requires some kind of "expert tuning".

I'll go one step further and say that most of the SQL that I've seen in my career that 'needed tuning' was actually bad SQL that 'needed to be re-written'. If you become an expert at writing SQL, then you will find that your SQL needs tuning much less often.

In fact, one of the reasons that I found the SQL Tuning exam difficult is because I normally 'tune' SQL by tearing it apart and rewriting it in a more optimized format. I do not tend to run the Automatic SQL Tuning Advisor to generate a profile to make bad SQL run faster. The 1Z0-117 exam does not really get into re-writing SQL as a means of tuning. The closest it comes is in the sections on how to read execution plans. Execution plans are an excellent place to start in determining which portion of a query is causing the most pain.

The SQL Tuning Advisor and SQL Access Advisor have their place in tuning queries, but it would be very easy to use them as a crutch that allow you to 'get by' with sub-optimal queries rather than simply fixing the root cause by improving the SQL.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that if you are going to be the developer writing queries (or re-writing them) -- go for the SQL Expert exam first. If instead you are going to be the DBA and are responsible for improving performance but will not be writing SQL, then the SQL Tuning Expert is probably a better bet. Most of the topics in it revolve around improving performance without having to change the base SQL.
Previous Topic: Oracle Training/Certification: Classroom and Online Session
Next Topic: Mastering Calculation Manager with Essbase and Planning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:26:28 CDT 2024