Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » oracle reports text formatting as runtime (oracle reports 6i)
oracle reports text formatting as runtime [message #594227] Mon, 26 August 2013 07:20 Go to next message
Ali Usman
Hi,

I need the below output in oracle reports 6i.

-------

this is a testing string retrieved from database.

now what i need is that to make bold the specific words in a string came from database.

please help.
Re: oracle reports text formatting as runtime [message #594230 is a reply to message #594227] Mon, 26 August 2013 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As far as I can tell, you can't do that easily. Information stored within a VARCHAR2 datatype column contains no formatting, so when you retrieve it from a table, it is just a text. Reports can make the whole output bold or italic or whatever else, but you can't do that with a single word (as your example shows).

What you might do is to split that string into 3 pieces: "this is a testing string" + "retrieved" + "from database". You'd then display them in layout editor as

&first_string &second_string &third_string

and make the second string bold.

Although that might do the job, it requires some programming and makes things complex (what if there are several words / sentences you want to make bold?).

Perhaps you should convert bold text into capital letters (which would also emphasize these words), such as "this is a testing string RETRIEVED from database".

Someone else might know how to do that, but I don't. Sorry.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 August 2013 07:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: oracle reports text formatting as runtime [message #594393 is a reply to message #594230] Wed, 28 August 2013 03:22 Go to previous message
Ali Usman
no i cant seperate strings cause i dont know how many times the letter retrieved will appear in the string it may vary...

i need some automated way... i also converted the text to upper case where specific word come i converted it into upper case.. but it didnt satisfy my client i have to make it bold

please help....

there are many variables that should be bold in the string, i have stored all the variables in a table just dont know how to make them bold.. i also converted all of them into upper case but it didnt fulfil the requirement.
Previous Topic: Bad Images Cause Report to Crash
Next Topic: Terminated_With Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 00:18:35 CDT 2024