Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Reports (oracle reports 6i,XP)
Reports [message #598428] Mon, 14 October 2013 11:33 Go to next message
sathish.mellow
Hi,

I have oracle forms builder and reports builder 10g installed on my computer. And it is working fine and connected to database properly.

Now I need to work in reports 6i and I installed that without error. I replaced the TNSNames.ora(The same i used for reports 10g) file with my database connections. But When I connect to the database i got the following error.

REP-0501:Unable to connect to the specified database
ORA-12222: TNS : no such protocol adapter

I created a environment variable for TNS_ADMIN in the system variable section as C:\Ora10gds\NETWORK\ADMIN.

But still i am getting the same error while connecting to the database.

Should I not install the 6i while there is reports 10g already exists in my machine?

What could I do to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Sathish
Re: Reports [message #598437 is a reply to message #598428] Mon, 14 October 2013 15:02 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Where (into which directory) did you install 6i version? It should have been a different directory than the one that contains 10g version. If you put both of them into the same place, well, that might (and will) be a problem.

Two TNSNAMES.ORA files are too much - that's right; one of them is just enough. I created a different directory (not related to Oracle installation directories, C:\Oracle_library) and created a single copy of TNSNAMES.ORA in there. All database aliases I ever use are listed in that file. Furthermore, I created a TNS_ADMIN environment variable which points to that directory. Everything, always, works OK for me.

On the other hand, this is what error says:Oracle

ORA-12222: TNS:no support is available for the protocol indicated
Cause: The protocol requested in the ADDRESS portion of the connect descriptor identified through the net service name is not available. If the supplied ADDRESS is typographically correct then support for that protocol is not installed.

Action: Install support for the protocol or correct typographical error, as appropriate. Note: if the supplied address was derived from resolving the net service name, check the address in the appropriate file (TNSNAMES.ORA, LISTENER.ORA) or in the directory server.

Does it make any sense in your case?
Previous Topic: problem in arabic font in discoverer 10g
Next Topic: Report 2 exl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 22:07:06 CDT 2024