Home » Other » Marketplace » How to get back to Oracle latest versions. (Windows 10, Latest Oracle versions)
How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668370] Mon, 19 February 2018 20:00 Go to next message
anasjamil

Hello to all,

I must say this forum helped me a lot when I was an oracle developer a decade ago.
I am writing to request everyone to provide me feedback about how to get back to the industry since I left the development due to some unavoidable circumstances.

I used to be an oracle developer using Oracle 10g as database and Developer 6i (Forms & Reports). However, since it has been a long time, I am not sure exactly which forms & reports version is latest in the market?

Moreover, since I am rusty with my SQL skills including stored procedures, triggers (both at form level and database level), I need your expert opinion about ways to get back to oracle development based on current trends in the market?

Regards,
anas jamil
Re: How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668377 is a reply to message #668370] Tue, 20 February 2018 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If you want to continue where you left, nothing much changed ... Forms is still here (version 12c) and runs on web so the "background" is different (i.e. it is not a client-server any more). Though, as far as I can tell, simply by reading discussions, people throughout the world still use Forms 6i, especially in India. 10g database is also alive and kicking, mostly for those who - due to different reasons (be it money or whatever else) - didn't upgrade to a more recent version.

SQL has changed - not that "old" functionalities won't work, but some new great ones appeared so you might need to take some time to learn what's new. PL/SQL is still here (triggers, stored procedures).

Basically, if you still remember how to get things done, you'll be able to do it again. Though, you might find a better, simpler, faster ways to accomplish that.

As of current trends: although Forms is here and Oracle continues to support it, it seems (to me) that it isn't that popular as it once was. Although it works well, it is ugly from today's point of view. JDeveloper? No idea, I don't speak Java & don't plan to learn it because a) I don't have to, b) (even more important) I don't like it. ADF? I've heard, from a man who attended OpenWorld last year, that in 3 days there was no lecture about it; if he lied, I'm lying too. Apex (Application Express) seems to be quite popular lately.

So ... refresh your (PL/)SQL knowledge. You'd then be able to use any other tool that supports it.

Someone else here might have another point of view, which doesn't have to match mine. I'm not trying to mislead you - the above is just how I see things right now.
Re: How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668380 is a reply to message #668370] Tue, 20 February 2018 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
The company I work for has been asked a few times to work on projects to move from Forms to APEX. A lot of people seem to be doing this, and there do not seem to be many people around with practice at it. There are some techniques that are supposed to help, but often APEX guys just say "impossible to convert, we'll write the whole thing from scratch" and I do wonder if that is really the best solution. That is the area I would look at at if I had your background.
Re: How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668388 is a reply to message #668380] Tue, 20 February 2018 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anasjamil

many thanks for the valuable comments.

Could you please confirm which database to use now ? Any recommendations ? Is Oracle 10g is Ok to use based on market trends (i.e. "Job search")?

I believe I need to install Oracle 12c as this is the latest version of forms and reports.

Thanks once again,

Regards,
Anas Jamil
Re: How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668389 is a reply to message #668388] Tue, 20 February 2018 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anasjamil

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it would be great if you could please provide a link/a tutorial to learn new PL/SQL (i.e PL/SQL has changed) as mentioned in your comments.

Bundles of thanks,

Regards,
Anas Jamil
Re: How to get back to Oracle latest versions. [message #668397 is a reply to message #668389] Wed, 21 February 2018 04:05 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, 12c is the last downloadable version (although I see documentation for 18c is available on OTN).

As of news - every documentation set contains "New features guide" - read it and you'll know the differences.
Previous Topic: Free web class: Record Locking in APEX and other Connection Pooled Environments
Next Topic: Required Skills for the Job of SQL Developer / PL/SQL Developer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:35:16 CDT 2024