Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » How do I kill that wretched UK Trade Info pop-up in Oracle Financials?
How do I kill that wretched UK Trade Info pop-up in Oracle Financials? [message #183265] Thu, 20 July 2006 03:29 Go to next message
dreamkatcha
Hi,

If you try to open Oracle Financials in Firefox the pop-up overwrites the main entry screen and you can't simply press the back button because that ends your session forcing you to login again. Incidentally the second login attempt doesn't work so you have to start again i.e. you get caught up in an endless loop of failed login attempts.

I've disabled the pop-up blocker and instructed Firefox to open new pages in separate windows rather than tabs yet no matter what, the entry screen gets replaced with the pop-up. I think it must be something to do with Java rather than my browser.

Does anyone know of a way to disable it within Oracle itself? I really can't believe a supposedly reputable company like Oracle are foisting this spam onto us through a commercial application costing thousands of pounds. Not very professional to say the least.

Anyway I'll end my rant here before I blow a gasket. Very Happy

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Re: How do I kill that wretched UK Trade Info pop-up in Oracle Financials? [message #183318 is a reply to message #183265] Thu, 20 July 2006 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
dreamkatcha wrote on Thu, 20 July 2006 09:29

Does anyone know of a way to disable it within Oracle itself? I really can't believe a supposedly reputable company like Oracle are foisting this spam onto us through a commercial application costing thousands of pounds. Not very professional to say the least.

Neutral I wish I knew what the problem was so that I could tell you how to fix it, but I don't so I can't.

What I can do is tell you that Oracle is not "foisting this spam onto us". How can I be so sure? Well, there are three reasons:-

1.) I have been working with the Oracle Financial Applications since 1996, implementing, testing, training, documenting and supporting hundreds of organisations with thousands of PC's, and in all that time, I have never, until today, heard of the "UK Trade Info pop-up", so I am certain that it is not part of the Oracle standard set-up,

and

2.) Oracle is a massive, global organisation with annual revenues of $14.4billion and net income of $3.4billion (see http://www.oracle.com/corporate/investor_relations/4q06-pressrelease-june.pdf and the income they would get from pop-up advertising would not even rate as highly as "completely insifignificant". Oracle makes its money by selling its own software and services, not by redirecting you out of its software to somewhere else, which would be counter-productive, to say the least.

and

3.) I searched Google for "UK Trade Info" and found this site:- http://www.uktradeinfo.com/. Their "About Us" section states "As part of HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), Statistical Analysis of Trade Unit (SATU) we focus on trade statistics business and produce quality and timely trade statistics and deliver activities associated with this work." I would have thought that they would have no commercial reason to drive traffic to their site (i.e. more traffic does not mean more revenue), and hence no need to pay Oracle (or anybody else) to generate pop-up ads.

So why is it happening? Why do you get this annoying pop-up whenever you try to access Oracle? I suspect that someone or some malware has messed with your Firefox settings. Twisted Evil

What do you need to do to fix it? Well, as I said earlier on, I wish I knew, but you could start with the Firefox web site, and you might also want to get yourself a good firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware package and keep it/them up to date. My own personal favourite is ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. Thumbs Up

Sad I am sorry that you are facing this problem, but I think that it would be unfair to blame either Oracle or UK Trade Info.

Cool HTH

David
Re: How do I kill that wretched UK Trade Info pop-up in Oracle Financials? [message #183397 is a reply to message #183265] Thu, 20 July 2006 14:01 Go to previous message
dreamkatcha
Sorry, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions or cast aspersions on Oracle. I was trying to get stuck into the work in my in-tray and was being held up by the appearance of this unwelcome web site. Infuriating considering UK Trade Info is completely irrelevant to me and not part of Financials.

This is the specific page it redirects me to. It may not be spam per se, but it may as well be seeing as it's so intrusive and unavoidable.

I really don't think it has anything to do with malware because this is the only pop-up I'm having trouble with, plus it's not your typical spammer's site. In light of your post I think it must be triggered by a setting implemented by my local systems team.

By the way it appears in both Internet Explorer and Firefox, except in IE it opens in a separate window so it's effortless to close and forget about it until I login again the following day.
Previous Topic: Dependent segment validation
Next Topic: Interface table for Bank&Bank Account conversion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 13:22:21 CDT 2024