Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts .
Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts . [message #198076] Sat, 14 October 2006 07:11 Go to next message
Arun1203

Dear Members,
While creating recurring journals ,there is concept in Formula step , stating that we can enter summary accounts.
Can any one please help me in knowing about summary accounts in detail (i.e., What are they and how are they created ,what is their need etc).

Best Regards & Thanks,
Arun.

Re: Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts . [message #198077 is a reply to message #198076] Sat, 14 October 2006 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi Arun,

Using summary accounts you can report on group of parent accounts.
Pls refer topic " summary templates" in Oracle General Ledger User Guide" for more details.

Regards
Sujatha
Re: Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts . [message #198118 is a reply to message #198077] Sun, 15 October 2006 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arun1203

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information.

Best Regards & Thanks,
Arun.

Re: Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts . [message #198286 is a reply to message #198076] Mon, 16 October 2006 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
Arun1203 wrote on Sat, 14 October 2006 13:11
Can any one please help me in knowing about summary accounts in detail (i.e., What are they and how are they created ,what is their need etc).

Arun,

Sujatha is right, you will find more information in the General Ledger User's Guide. Here is an extract from what it has to say:-
A summary account is an account whose balance is the sum of balances from multiple detail accounts. Use summary accounts to perform online summary inquiries, as well as speed the processing of financial reports, MassAllocations, and recurring journal formulas.

So, in other words, a Summary Account will add up the values of all of the detail accounts which make it up. The total is then available for immediate use in online inquiries, calculations and reports.

When should you use Summary Accounts and when should you not? It is a case of "Pay me Now or Pay me Later". When you post amounts to Detail Accounts which belong to Summary Accounts, each amount has to be posted twice; once to the Detail Account and once to the Summary Account. This incurs a processing overhead with each posting. If you have no Summary Accounts, then whenever you need a total, it is necessary to read all of the Detail Accounts and calculate the total. This incurs a processing overhead with each total.

I think that it is received wisdom that large numbers of Summary Accounts will have an adverse affect on performance and should therefore be avoided. However, I don't know of any empirical research on the subject. Does anybody know of any information that is already in the public domain regarding this?

Cool HTH

David
Re: Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts . [message #198336 is a reply to message #198286] Mon, 16 October 2006 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arun1203

Hi David,
Thanks a lot for your valuable information..
Hope I'm not disturbing you and sujatha by posting
basic concepts...
Anyway thanks a lot once again..

Best Regards & Thanks,
Arun.
Do find attached White Paper for Summary Templates. [message #198393 is a reply to message #198336] Tue, 17 October 2006 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sujatha_mu
Hi Arun,

Pls find attached White Paper for Summary Templates

Regards
sujatha
Re: Do find attached White Paper for Summary Templates. [message #198983 is a reply to message #198393] Thu, 19 October 2006 08:59 Go to previous message
Arun1203

Hi Sujatha,
You have no idea how much I appreciate your valuable help.
This is the doucment which cleared my doubt completely.
I should also thank the moderator for running such a good forum.
Thanks a lot to you once again.

Best Regards & Thanks,
Arun.
Previous Topic: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program
Next Topic: Learn Oracle Financials wherever you are ! --- Get a career boost !
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 13:29:37 CDT 2024