Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » outputting to a CSV from concurrent program
outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198573] Tue, 17 October 2006 13:58 Go to next message
annagel
In the version of Oracle Apps we are running we get a choice of output for concurrent programs between html, pcl, pdf, Post script, text, and xml.

We are trying to create some 'reports' that provide the user with excel compatible dumps of certain pieces of data. One easy way to do this is a csv file. We can generate this as a test file which can be copied and saved as a csv by the user, and this does work, but requires a bit of a leap on the part of the users.

I was hoping to figure out a way to 'trick' the system into opening the file as a csv in excel. My idea was to create an html file and then embed the csv in it in some way so the file would open in IE and IE would launch Excel to deal with embedded csv data.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or should I just keep making the user increase their procedural knowledge just a little bit?

thanks
Andrew
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198623 is a reply to message #198573] Wed, 18 October 2006 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
Hi,

According to sources Note:316752.1

The following output formats are possible for the output file created by any Concurrent Request in Oracle Applications 11i

- Text
- HTML
- PDF
- PCL
- Postscript
- XML

In Apps 11i , use System Administrator Responsibility and Navigate as

Install -> Viewer Optionsto open the Form Viewer Options

The column File Format can take one of the following possible values

- Text
- HTML
- PDF
- PCL
- Postscript
- XML

One Example

---------------

Logon to Oracle Applications , use System Administrator Responsibility and Navigate as :-
Install -> Viewer Options
to open the Form "Viewer Options"

Then do the entry as shown below :-

File format - Mime Type --Description
-------------------------------------------
Text - application/msword - Microsoft Word(.doc)
Text - application/vnd.ms-excel - Excel (.xls)
Text - Notepad(.txt)

Ensure that the profile option
Viewer: Application for Text
is set to
BLANK
at the Site Level

Then ensure that the profile option
Viewer: Text
is set to
Browser
at the Site Level

Then restart the Concurrent Processing Server

Submit a Concurrent Request that generates Text Output File
Click on View Output
Button
You will see a LOV showing
Microsoft Word(.doc)
Excel (.xls)
Notepad(.txt)

When you choose Microsoft Word(.doc) , the Text File will be transferred using the Mime Type application/msword
, so the browser will open the Text File in Word

When you choose Excel (.xls) , the Text File will be transferred using the Mime Type application/vnd.ms-excel
, so the browser will open the Text File in Excel

When you choose Notepad(.txt) , the Text File will be transferred using the Mime Type text/plain
, so the browser will open the Text File in Notepad

Please go through the metalink note Note:316752.1

Regards,
Vinod
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198726 is a reply to message #198573] Wed, 18 October 2006 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lakshmi surya ram

Hi Vin

what you said is working good.
Now tell me how to disable that particular if want to see my output in regular passion.
Iam unable to disable the profile option.

Thanks in advance,
surya
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198772 is a reply to message #198623] Wed, 18 October 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
annagel
Thanks for the info. We did that and have now tried taking it a step further. We don't actually use XML, PCL, or Post Script at all in our implementation so we went into the tables and altered the values of the mime type tables to associate one of these exclusivly with excel. Don't know about the side effects of doing this at the moment (we are jsut in a test instance) but it seems to fit what we want to do exactly.

Andrew
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198892 is a reply to message #198726] Thu, 19 October 2006 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vin_odks
lakshmi surya ram wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 16:53

Now tell me how to disable that particular if want to see my output in regular passion.

Set the profile option Viewer: Text to blank

Also delete the associations files from your machine

Regards
Vinod
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198934 is a reply to message #198573] Thu, 19 October 2006 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fakhar55
hi vinod,
It worked nicely for excel but not for word/notepad.... if I select Microsoft Word/notepad(.txt) as an output type then the output is open in the browser in html format with no formatting of report like data..
Any comments???
Regards
Fakhar.
Re: outputting to a CSV from concurrent program [message #198939 is a reply to message #198573] Thu, 19 October 2006 04:38 Go to previous message
vin_odks
Hi,

Check if the MIME type is valid for your browser .

1)Go to START > PROGRAM > WINDOWS EXPLORER.
2)Go to VIEW > OPTIONS > FILE TYPE TAB.
3)Search Down for Microsoft word document.
4)Highlight the Microsoft word document.
5)File Type Details at the Bottom shows Content Type (MIME).
6) Record the MIME Type for the Microsoft word document(Application/msword) or Text/11i word.

Regards,
Vinod
Previous Topic: >>File >Export - Fails
Next Topic: Info reqd regarding Summary Accounts .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 27 12:53:07 CDT 2024