Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » internal auditor
internal auditor [message #215957] Wed, 24 January 2007 07:25 Go to next message
bashar1977
Good Day,

I’m an internal auditor, trying to audit the controls within oracle financial 11i, I noticed that managers with posting responsibility can see and post all entries made by all the accountants (on A/P and A/R and cash module) whether they are from the staff of their section or dept. or not, is it possible on oracle financial to limit this that managers can see and post only their staff’s work.

thank you,
Re: internal auditor [message #215993 is a reply to message #215957] Wed, 24 January 2007 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbutkys

You would have to implement journal approval.
Re: internal auditor [message #216009 is a reply to message #215957] Wed, 24 January 2007 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Bashar,

Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable limit what you can see based on operating unit, this is known as multi-org functionality. These applications do not have any functionality for limiting access at a lower level than operating unit, but this can be done with extensions to the Oracle E-Business Suite.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: internal auditor [message #216166 is a reply to message #216009] Thu, 25 January 2007 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bashar1977
Thank you for replying me, but I think I need to explain the case more, the managers with posting journal voucher -JV entry post recurring - responsibility, can access and post JVs (in A/P, A/R or fixed assets modules) made by all the other users who are working on the module, but this is not secure I think, their access and responsibility should be over their staff or operational units only, is it possible to limit their access and responsibilities to the JVs made by their staff only in their sections or departments, that is to limit this or any other responsibility to cretin users or operational units they are in charge of,
I would like to now more about this as much as possible because I think it is a major defect in the system, and I don’t think frankly that oracle can miss some think like this,

I would like to now exactly how to do this so I can discuss this with our technical people because they are saying this is not possible, which I don’t think so,

Knowing that we are working on oracle e-business suite 11i

And if any one can refer me to the right resources (manuals, documentation,…) in this regard,

Thank you again very much in advanced

Re: internal auditor [message #216167 is a reply to message #215993] Thu, 25 January 2007 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bashar1977

i'm not an oracle expert so please elaborate how to implement jornal approvales

Thank you again very much
Re: internal auditor [message #216211 is a reply to message #216166] Thu, 25 January 2007 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbutkys

There are a couple of things you can do. Let me first explain some of the concepts:

1.) Responsibilities are tied to menu options that restrict what a person can do. Typically if you have a "super user" responsibility in either AR, AP or FA, then this will give you the ability to "push" the journals into the GL. This does not necessarily mean that you have the ability to post. This is dependent on setups. If you limit a clerk to just data entry and take away any JE transfer options, then they will not be able to perform this action. You can setup a manager to have super user access which would give them this functionality. What you can't do, is have an approval process for each person in AP, AR or FA, but that doesn't mean that you can review their work.
2.) When the various journals (AR, AP or FA)are imported into the GL, they are not necessarily "posted." This is dependent on the setups. Now, if you create manual JE's directly within the GL and wanted the ablity to "approve" JE's, then you would use the journal approval functionality.

What action you take is dependent on the size of the organization. For example, if you have an AP department of 1 and a manager over that person, then you could just easily remove the "transfer" menu option and would suffice as a good control for that process. If you have a big AP department, then typically each specific function within the AP department might be separated, such as AP invoice entry from processing checks, to transferring to GL.

Can you give me more details on the size of the company, where they are located, the version of Oracle you are currently using. It sounds like you have an internal IT department, but are they trained in using Oracle? Typically an IT department will have those that fix your computers, to those that are software specific, such as Oracle, and then within Oracle their will be specific areas that they know, such as a database administrator, technical or function Oracle IT person.
Re: internal auditor [message #216457 is a reply to message #216211] Sun, 28 January 2007 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bashar1977
Thank you very much for your response,

My company has a finance dept, IT dept and brands all over the world, it is a huge company

the responsibilities I’m talking about is over the finance dept. which has a separate A/P, A/R and FA section, in the same location (Head Office) the manager of each section can see and post the JVs made by other sections’ employees,

There are two types of validation or posting I am talking about the posting of the entry made by the clerk and posted by his manager (in the same module A/P or A/R) then the second posting is from the module to the GL.

In both cases the each manager can do either of the two mentioned actions in the all directions to all sections transactions.

I heard that this is happening because the system was installed to consider the H.O. as a one operational unit, so the responsibility on this level could not be decomposed to lower levels(user level for example).

But I wonder if there is some how to make this responsibility a user dependent so when a manager inquire about un posted journals his select only returns his staff’s journals, i now this is possible on the DB as SQL inquiry when users are tied with their managers.

Is the implementation of separate operational units on the system is the only solution – which is hard to implement now-, I need a doable alternative I can discuss with management If you can provide me,

I hope there is some how it is possible to link users with their mangers so when a manager selecting the unposted journals the system returns only his staff’s work,

Thank you
Re: internal auditor [message #216458 is a reply to message #216211] Sun, 28 January 2007 07:16 Go to previous message
bashar1977
by the way the oracle we are using is oracle E-business suite

Oracle Applications : 11.5.9 built on DB VIRSION: 8.1.7.4.0

Oracle Forms Version : 6.0.8.21.3

Application Object Library : 11.5.0

THANK YOU
Previous Topic: Regards Apps output
Next Topic: Display Message on View Log File
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 30 23:51:18 CDT 2024