Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » Amend Journal after posting
Amend Journal after posting [message #221408] Mon, 26 February 2007 10:38 Go to next message
jopc
Hello,

I would appreciate if someone can advise me How to amend fields such as Journal description after the journal has been posted in Oracle GL. The journal was posted through ADI.

Can user/ super user do it or we need database fix?

Thanks
Re: Amend Journal after posting [message #221466 is a reply to message #221408] Mon, 26 February 2007 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tgs100
I have not come across any profile options (or any other options) for changing journal description after posting.

I think you should ask for data patch if it is really needed.

Other members can add....

Cheers,
Sara
Re: Amend Journal after posting [message #221528 is a reply to message #221408] Tue, 27 February 2007 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David.K.Dickson
I agree with Sara. There is no way to change the Journal Description through the user forms. You would have to change them using SQL or SQL*Plus. However, in each of the User Guides, there is a warning. Here is the one from the 11.5.9 General Ledger User Guide:-

Do Not Use Database Tools to Modify Oracle Applications Data

We STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you never use SQL*Plus, Oracle Data Browser, database triggers, or any other tool to modify Oracle Applications tables, unless we tell you to do so in our guides.

Oracle provides powerful tools you can use to create, store, change, retrieve, and maintain information in an Oracle database. But if you use Oracle tools such as SQL*Plus to modify Oracle Applications data, you risk destroying the integrity of your data and you lose the ability to audit changes to your data.

Because Oracle Applications tables are interrelated, any change you make using an Oracle Applications form can update many tables at once. But when you modify Oracle Applications data using anythingother than Oracle Applications forms, you might change a row in one table without making corresponding changes in related tables. If your tables get out of synchronization with each other, you risk retrieving erroneous information and you risk unpredictable results throughout Oracle Applications.

When you use Oracle Applications forms to modify your data, Oracle Applications automatically checks that your changes are valid. Oracle Applications also keeps track of who changes information. But, if you enter information into database tables using database tools, you may store invalid information. You also lose the ability to track who has changed your information because SQL*Plus and other database tools do not keep a record of changes.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Your change is unlikely to cause tables get out of synchronization with each other, so one route you could take is:
  1. develop the necessary script to change the journal descriptions in a TEST environment, remembering to update the "last updated" fields and ensuring that it does not have a detrimental effect on the integrity of your General Ledger,
  2. raise an SR with Oracle, explaining what you are doing and why, and asking them to approve your script for use in PRODUCTION.

If they approve it, then you have your change safe in the knowledge that it will not invalidate your support agreement.

Cool HTH

David
Re: Amend Journal after posting [message #221855 is a reply to message #221528] Wed, 28 February 2007 12:54 Go to previous message
jopc
Thank you for your response.
Previous Topic: Types of PO
Next Topic: Error-1219
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 00:50:21 CDT 2024