Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » Setup Env. Variables for PHP
Setup Env. Variables for PHP [message #228004] Fri, 30 March 2007 12:19 Go to next message
gvandekrol
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup a connection to Oracle with PHP. I installed the Instant Client and added its path to the Environment Variables. Made the connection and it all seems to work perfect on my test computer.
Now I want to setup the same stuff by a webhosting company. I have access to the PHP.ini file to enable the PHP_oci8 extension, and have put the Instant Client on the server as well. But I can't change the environment variables. So I tried adding putenv("PATH=./instantclient"); to my PHP file, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
I'm afraid that webserver needs to be restarted, but if I call my webhosting company and tell them to restart the server they'll probable laugh at me.

Any other ways of getting the Oracle Instant Client to work in a shared hosting environment?
Re: Setup Env. Variables for PHP [message #234255 is a reply to message #228004] Mon, 30 April 2007 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hdogg
Try this article:
http://www.bernzilla.com/item.php?id=784

That helped me quite a bit in making the connection. However, from what I remember is that's pretty fickle at the global variables, ie, some of the variables are case sensitive and cause headaches.
-Hyrum
Re: Setup Env. Variables for PHP [message #234257 is a reply to message #234255] Mon, 30 April 2007 10:52 Go to previous message
gvandekrol
Thanks man, I'll have a look at it.
Previous Topic: SQL DBI Error
Next Topic: Have a doubt in File handling in Perl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:20:25 CDT 2024