Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace
how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249313] Wed, 04 July 2007 01:22 Go to next message
mskalova
Hi,
the platform we are using is linux ENT 4, with oracle 10.2.3

the problem we are having is that when we dropped an undo tablespace with deleting the system datafile, it doesnt release the disk space back to the OS. the file is actually deleted. but if you do a lsof at the os level the file is actually marked deleted. but the diskpace is still being used.

i know that by shutting down the instance it will free up the disk space but I dont have to shut the instance down.

the database currently is using another tablespace. we dropped the old tablespace because it got too large and a user didnt do commit when running some queries.

has anyone come across this issue before.
thanks
M
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249315 is a reply to message #249313] Wed, 04 July 2007 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>i know that by shutting down the instance it will free up the disk space but I dont have to shut the instance down.
You do if the OS is to reclaim the dsk space.
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249321 is a reply to message #249315] Wed, 04 July 2007 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mskalova
thanks for the reply, its not really for OS to reclaim. I would like to put an export file on the drive but with the deleted being locked by oracle I cant do that as 32G of disk space is wasted.
anyother way to free deleted file... why doesnt oracle release the deleted file after you have drop the tablespace and its datafile?
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249323 is a reply to message #249321] Wed, 04 July 2007 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
why doesnt oracle release the deleted file after you have drop the tablespace and its datafile?

This question is irrelevant.
It is as it is, you have to do with it.

Regards
Michel
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249601 is a reply to message #249313] Thu, 05 July 2007 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kartikshingala

Does this tablespace so in your v$tablespace?

did you try rm -r for deleting this datafile.
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249602 is a reply to message #249601] Thu, 05 July 2007 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
He said the datafile ARE deleted just the space does not return the file system.
The reason is that there still is at least one opened handle on it.

Regards
Michel
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249782 is a reply to message #249602] Thu, 05 July 2007 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mskalova
i think this must be a bug. have you guys tried it.

do a lsof |grep filename after you have deleted the undotablespace you will see that oracle will not release this file even thought the system has marked it for delete...

regards
M
Re: how to reclaim disk space after deleting undo tablespace [message #249785 is a reply to message #249313] Thu, 05 July 2007 20:56 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
>i think this must be a bug.
It is NORMAL *nix action & NOT a bug and has nothing to do with Oracle.

The "rm" command simply eliminates the inode from the parent directory; BUT the inode is still in use so disk blocks do NOT get released back to the file system until the file is closed.
Previous Topic: Possible Errors after upgraded db from 9i to Oracle 10g
Next Topic: Insert Special Characters into Oracle10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:28:26 CDT 2024