Home » Applications » Oracle Fusion Apps & E-Business Suite » OA Framework  () 1 Vote
OA Framework [message #256911] Tue, 07 August 2007 02:38 Go to next message
tarmenel
Hi there,

I'm looking to try and get into Java programming in connection with Oracle ERP. I've heard of something called the OA Framework, I'm only entering the more advanced topics of Java so most of it sounds like Chinese to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can start.

The reason I'm looking into this is because our customer would like me to design a form based on a table that we have created in the database. They do not want to use the Forms but rather the web-based approach. So if I'm incorrect in assuming that I would need OAF please let me know in which direction I should be looking.
Re: OA Framework [message #256941 is a reply to message #256911] Tue, 07 August 2007 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
You are right. If you want to develop a self-service web application that plugs in as an integral part of the E-Business Suite, you should use OAF.

In order to develop something using OAF you need to use JDeveloper, but not just any version of JDeveloper. The version you can download from OTN will not work. Instead, download one of the versions available from Metalink as patches. Which to download depends on the version of the E-Business Suite is available.

I believe there is a tutorial bundled with JDeveloper that you could use. There are also manuals available and Oracle does offer training.

OAF is quite similar to ADF - Oracle's stand-alone framework for J2EE, and you might want to look at the training resources available for ADF on OTN. But beware, ADF is quite a bit more advanced than the version of OAF used in 11.5.10, so going back to OAF might be a bit painful.

--
Aleksander Dragnes
Re: OA Framework [message #257302 is a reply to message #256941] Wed, 08 August 2007 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tarmenel
1. Why do I have to use JDeveloper is development not possible in NetBeans?

2. I see you mentioned JDeveloper Download from MetaLink. I searched there yesterday but unfortunately could not find the downloads you were speaking of. My searching capabilities have been numbed by the ease with which you can find things with Google so trying to find something with Metalink seems to not be as successful.
Re: OA Framework [message #257345 is a reply to message #257302] Wed, 08 August 2007 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adragnes
Only JDeveloper has the OAF extension which is necessary to develop OAF applications in a practical way.

There are different versions of JDeveloper with the OAF extension available. Which one depends on the version of OAF and the E-Business Suite you are running.

A quick search using "JDeveloper OAF" as the query string reveals the following patch numbers: 6012619, 5455514, 4725670 and 4045639. Whatever version of Google you use must be better than mine, does it read your mind? Wink

--
Aleksander Dragnes

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2007 02:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OA Framework [message #257433 is a reply to message #257345] Wed, 08 August 2007 06:34 Go to previous message
tarmenel
Thanks I downloaded what I believe to be the correct version but I see that in the steps they are asking for a Database Connectivity File?? I am aware of something called tns.ora but they seem to be asking for a .dbc file. Does anyone have an example of such a file that I can try to create it.

Task 2: Obtain a Database Connection File

Obtain the FND database connection (.dbc) file from the system administrator who installed the OA Framework database ARU where you want to do your development. Place this file in the <JDEV_USER_HOME>\dbc_files\secure directory.

I'm not really sure what they mean by the OA Framework database ARU. Should I have installed something prior to unzipping the download that I got from MetaLink. I already have an version of JDeveloper on my machine, not sure if I had to unzip the download to this folder but they way I understand it is that this is an older version??

Google could read my mind this time Aleksander Laughing
Previous Topic: Reconciliation Process in Cash Management
Next Topic: kindly giv me how costing is applied for inventory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 16:06:48 CDT 2024